Firefox 3.6 RC1 Available for DownloadBy BuildHome at 01/11/2010 22:27
Last week we were reporting that the Mozilla Foundation is working on the first Firefox 3.6 RC1 builds. We start the week with great news for all the Firefox fans out there: the Mozilla Foundation has officially released Firefox 3.6 RC1 (Release Candidate 1). The browser is available for download for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux users, free of charge of course. If you already have Firefox 3.6 Beta installed, you should receive an automatic update notice.
Firefox Director, Mike Beltzner, announced the release of Firefox 3.6 RC1: “The Mozilla community is proud to announce the availability of a release candidate of Firefox 3.6. This preview software is available for free download and has been issued as an automatic update to all Firefox 3.6 beta users. Over 75% of the thousands of Firefox Add-ons have now been upgraded by their authors to be compatible with Firefox 3.6. If your favorite Add-on isn’t yet marked as compatible, you can help the Add-on author test it out using the Add-on Compatibility Reporter. This release candidate may update itself periodically, and will eventually be exactly the same as the final Firefox 3.6 release itself."
You may already know what Firefox 3.6 has to offer, but just in case there is someone out there who doesn’t, here goes:
- Built-in support for Personas.
- The user will be alerted when a plugin needs to be updated.
- The manner in which 3rd party software integrates with the Firefox has been changed to provide enhanced browser stability.
- Improved automatic form fill with better options from your form history.
- Full screen and poster frames support for open, native video.
- HTML5 File API support. This means the user would be able to load images to a web application without having to upload them to the server, for example. The images can be edited and saved locally, and they could optionally be uploaded when ready
- The ability run scripts asynchronously and thus speed up page load times.
- New API to give add-ons access to Firefox’s geolocation features
- The Firefox components directory is locked down.
- A mechanism that prevents Firefox from crashing when dealing with incompatible software.
- WOFF font format support.
- New CSS, DOM and HTML5 web technologies support.
If you would like to get Firefox 3.6 RC1, get your localized version here.
Firefox 3.6 RC1 provides support for more than 70 languages, as well as support for Windows, Mac OS and Linux.
By George Norman, findmysoft